Hello everyone! I took the summer off of blogging just to reboot and get my creativity going again! I’m finally back at it though 🙂 I hope everyone had a great summer. It’s my favorite time of year, as I’m sure it’s a lot of people’s 😉 Yesterday my husband and I went apple picking so I could make some apple pies for us! They turned out great! I got enough apples for two pies and to make apple butter as well. I ended up freezing one Pie so I can cook it later! I’ll give details on how to freeze the Pie as well.
- 3 pounds of golden delicious apples, peeled
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2/3 cup of sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 pre-made store bought pie crusts
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Peel apples, remove core and then cut into small slices.
- Once apple are sliced add lemon juice and sugar until well combined.
- Over medium high heat add butter and apples into a large skillet, cook until the begin to simmer about 1-2 minutes. Cover and cook another 7 minutes or until apples become soft.
- Over a medium bowl, strain apples until all juices are removed. Set apples aside, add juices from apples back into the skillet over medium heat and cook until lightly carmalized about 10-15 minutes.
- Once juices are carmalized add back to the apples and mix in cinnamon until well combined. Set filling aside to cool completely.
- In the meantime, unroll one pie crust into a butter 9 inch round pan. Cut off excess crust on the sides. Once filling is cooled add to Pie crust and spread evenly. Unroll the other pie crust over the top of the pie. Cut off excess crust on the sides. Using a fork press along the sides of the pie to create a nice crust. Finally, cut slits into top of pie so the steam can escape*(* this is an important step!). Brush egg wash ontop of the pie.
- Place pie in fridge to rest for 15 minutes.
- Place pie on a baking sheet in the oven and bake 50 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Let rest on a wire rack for one hour.
- Enjoy with your favorite vanilla ice cream!
- To freeze the pies do not brush with egg wash, place uncooked pie in freezer for 30 min. Then double wrap in plastic wrap until completely covered. Return to freezer. To bake frozen pie cook at 375 for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Thank you all so much for your kind words and continued interest in my blog posts!
Don’t forget to follow me on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and like me on Facebook.
One Comment Add yours
The pie looks great and apple butter sounds amazing!