One of my favorite toppings or even just to have as a snack is pickles. My favorite kind of pickle is bread and butter pickles. Instead of buying store bought I like to make my own. Which sounds exhausting I’m sure. But, it’s so simple and easy you will never want to buy store bought pickles ever again. I personally prefer the taste of homemade pickles and so does my husband. He says they are “the greatest pickles he’s ever eaten in his life”. If that doesn’t make you want to try them then I don’t know what will! 🙂 Just a few ingredients and 15-20 minutes is all you need! Now, I don’t pickle my pickles as they usually are gone pretty quickly. 😉 These will stay fresh up to a week if they are properly stored. I use a mason jar and seal it tightly and keep in the fridge. Like I said they will be good for up to a week if they aren’t eaten before then! Let’s get started!
I made these to use as a topping for my Spicy Black Bean Burgers! Click here for the recipe! If you would like to get updates on my recipes right when I post them, please click the “Follow” button in the lower right hand corner of this page and subscribe!! 🙂
- 4-5 Cucumbers (kirby cucumbers work best, but I know sometimes the grocery store doesn’t have them so any cucumber will work fine)
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Salt
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (you may add more for extra spice!)
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a medium saucepan combine vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, garlic powder, celery seeds, salt, red pepper flakes, turmeric, and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook about 4-5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl or mason jar add cucumbers and red onion. Pour vinegar mixture over and stir to combine. I like to store mine in a mason jar, close the lid tightly and shake! Cover and store in the refrigerator. Let sit for at least an hour, the longer you let it sit the more flavor they will have!
- Enjoy!! 🙂
I’ll be posting my recipe for spicy black bean burgers that pairs with these pickles on Monday!
Don’t forget to click the “Follow” button in the lower right hand corner of this page to receive updates on all my posts!
Also, follow me on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and Like me on Facebook!
One Comment Add yours